I have become completely enamored with Buffalo. Actually, Bison. (Buffalo only live on Africa, but Bison look a lot like buffalo, so that's how it got started). I love their baleful eyes, their enormous backs, and the way they walk right down the middle of the road.
Here are a few things you might not know about bison, specifically, the Plains Bison, genus species Bison Bison Bison. (Like me, genus species Judy Judy Judy)
- Bison are the largest mammals walking the earth in North America.
- When a male bison turns 2 or 3, leaves the female herd and joins a male herd, which is usually smaller. They live in a man cave and learn to play the trumpet (Not really.)
- Bison were nearly hunted to extinction in the 18 and 1900's but they aren't endangered anymore. (I'm so glad!)
- Bison wallow. They usually appear peaceful, unconcerned, or even lazy, but they might attack anything, often without warning and for no apparent reason. (It's OK bison, I know how you feel.)
- Bison aren't afraid of anything.
So, there it is, my little Bison love post. ❤